Sunday, May 31, 2009

Spike Lee's Beef With Tyler Perry

Spike Lee, in an interview with Ed Gordon, called out Tyler Perry for what he feels is negative imagery of black people. He said:
"Each artist should be allowed to pursue their artistic endeavors, but I still think there is a lot of stuff out today that is coonery and buffoonery. I know it’s making a lot of money and breaking records, but we can do better. … I am a huge basketball fan, and when I watch the games on TNT, I see these two ads for these two shows (Tyler Perry’s “Meet the Browns” and “House of Payne”), and I am scratching my head. We got a black president, and we going back to Mantan Moreland and Sleep ‘n’ Eat?"
Does Spike have a legitimate concern over the imagery that Tyler "Madea" Perry displays in his movies and TV shows? Or, are Tyler's critics taking things way too seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment